Body language is a very important part of how we communicate with others. The way you sit, walk, your gestures, hand movements, facial expressions, all are part of your body language. It is important to understand, what different actions could mean and how others perceive it. This will put you in a better position to communicate with others.
Whenever you are communicating with any person, or are in a public meeting, just remember these points about your body language.
- Your posture should always be upright. Curving the back, or standing on one side shows lack of confidence.
- Maintain an eye contact with the person you are communicating. This will show up your confidence and trust.
- Avoid playing with any object while you are in a conversation. It distracts the attention.
- Avoid any gestures which can be considered as unprofessional.
- While communicating maintain a normal pitch of your voice. Do not raise the pitch of your voice unnecessarily.
- To convey your message, speak in the language that the other person understands.
- Watch out your body part movements. Like do not bite your nails, scratch your hair, play with your fingers or look here and there while in conversation. All these gestures indicate the inattentiveness and nervousness.
- Try to keep your arms straight while standing. Folded arms indicate defensive mode while hands on the hips indicate aggressive mode.
- Lastly, always have a pleasant smile on your face. This small gesture speaks up a lot.
- Get Ready for the Performance Appraisal with these Simple Tips
- Top 10 Leadership Skills that Employers Look For